Welcome to our thoughtfully curated list of 37 take a deep breath quotes.
Because, like us, you could probably use some daily reminders.
For the most part, breathing is involuntary.
But taking a few moments throughout the day to practice mindful breathing can change your health, your perspective, and even the choices you make.
These quotes on breathing illustrate the power behind this practice.
We think you’ll find some new favorites.
Breathing and Mindfulness
Before we dive into the breathe quotes below, let’s look at the most noteworthy benefits of mindful breathing. What can it do for you?
- Reduces cortisol and bodily tension;
- Enhances circulation and digestion;
- Improves balance and self-awareness;
- Improves mental clarity and focus;
- Activates the lymphatic system to purge toxins and reduce anxiety;
- Facilitates calm, mindful enjoyment of the present.
37 Quotes on Breathing for a Calm and Mindful Day
Now that you know the difference mindful breathing can make, take your time to give these breathing quotes a careful reading. Make a note of the ones that stand out.
1. “The trick to life is to just keep breathing.” – Johnny Lung
2. “When the breath is unsteady, all is unsteady; when the breath is still; all is still. Control the breath carefully. Inhalation gives strength and a controlled body; retention gives steadiness of mind and longevity; exhalation purifies body and spirit.” – Goraksasathakam
4. “If you want to conquer the anxiety of life, live in the moment, live in the breath.” ― Amit Ray
5. “Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.” – L. Frank Baum
6. “Feelings come and go like clouds. Conscious breathing is my anchor.” — Thich Nhat Hanh
7. “Let the breath led the way.” — Sharon Salzberg
8. “To meditate with mindful breathing is to bring body and mind back to the present moment so that you do not miss your appointment with life. – Thich Nhat Hanh
9. “Let go of the battle. Breath quietly and let it be. Let your body relax and your heart soften.” — Jack Kornfield
10. “Deep breaths are like little love notes to your body.” — Unknown
11. “Breathing in, I calm body and mind. Breathing out, I smile. Dwelling in the present moment, I know this is the only moment.” — Thich Nhat Hanh
12. “Breathe and don’t try to be perfect.” – Nicole Kidman
13. “Happiness breathes when you do.” – Terri Guillemets
14. “Only when you explore the ecstasy of simply being, where even to breathe is a distraction, can you call yourself complete.” ― Sadghuru
16. “Take a moment throughout your day to focus on your breathing. Follow the inhale completely and smile through the exhale. Even a few minutes of mindful breathing can bring you peace.” — Barrie Davenport
17. “Meditation is a universal practice, and our breath is a universal language.” ― Heidi M. Morrison
18. “Who will tell whether one happy moment of love or the joy of breathing or walking on a bright morning and smelling the fresh air, is not worth all the suffering and effort which life implies.” – Erich Fromm
19. “Spiritual breathing teaches us that we are all connected in love.” – Dan Brule
20. “Regulate the breathing, and thereby control the mind.” – B.K.S. Iyengar
21. “For breath is life, so if you breathe well you will live long on earth.” — Sanskrit Proverb
22. “Remember to breathe. It is, after all, the secret of life.” – Gregory Maguire
24. “Sometimes the most important thing in a whole day is the rest we take between two deep breaths.” — Your Tango
25. “What excites me is just taking some time to breathe in life. The mundane is very exciting.” – Viola Davis
26. “The more we talk about our troubles and our fears, the more life we breathe into them.” – Evinda Lepins
27. “Breath is the finest gift of nature. Be grateful for this wonderful gift.” — Amit Ray
28. “Bliss begins with the breath. We breathe in and accept all that is new. We breathe out, and release all that has passed.” – Sara Wiseman
29. “Revenge is a caustic thing. I say, Breathe in, breathe deeply, let it go.” – Jason Statham
30. “I love being in the woods when I can just walk barefoot in the grass and just sit down and breathe. I love that so much.” – Jessie Reyez
32. “The breath that you just took … that’s a gift.” — Rob Bell
33. “The wisest one-word sentence? Breathe”. – Terri Guillemets
34. “Inhale, then exhale. That’s how you’ll get through it.” – Unknown
35. “Life is a moving, breathing thing. We have to be willing to constantly evolve. Perfection is constant transformation.” — Nia Peeples
36. “You’re alive and breathing. That’s a fine reason to celebrate.” – Johnny Lung
37. “Breathing well means breathing more slowly and deeply. Relax, feel your breathing, and breathe comfortably. Once aware, it naturally becomes deeper and slower.” – Ilchi Lee
More Related Articles
Now that you’ve read all 37 quotes on mindful breathing, which ones would you like to keep handy from now on?
We have a few ideas for that:
- Design a custom-made mug, keychain, etc. with a favorite quote;
- Keep the quotes handy in your desk or purse to inspire you to take a breathing break;
- Make a new vision board featuring a quote that reminds you to stop and breathe;
- Use an affirmation/quote app to remind you of your favorites.
Now go forth and have a breath-filled, mindful day!