Himalayan salt lamps provide a relaxing, beautiful ambiance during your daily meditation practice — as well as a gorgeous glow.
You can use them in place of candles, which can be hazardous if forgotten or unattended.
Whether you’d like to use your lamp as an accent piece or tool for your meditation, there are countless benefits to salt lamps.
With so many Himalayan salt lamps online and in-store, how do you know which to buy?
And better yet, what factors should you consider before purchasing?
What really makes a good salt lamp?
If you don’t have time to scour the internet in search of the best lamp –I don’t blame you!
I’ve done the work for you and will review a variety of salt lamps on the market.
Find out which made the list, which is best for your individual needs, and what I have chosen as the top Himalayan salt lamp for 2022.
- What is the History of Salt?
- What is Himalayan Salt?
- Why Use a Himalayan Salt Lamp for Meditation?
- What to Consider Before Purchasing
- Here are the 6 Best Himalayan Salt Lamps For 2022
- 1. Himalayan Glow 1002 Himalayan Pink Salt Lamp
- 2. Himalayan Salt Lamp Premium Natural Hand Carved Glow Crystal Rock Salt Light
- 3. Pristine Superb Himalayan Pink Salt Lamp
- 4. Spantik Himalayan Salt Lamp with Dimmer Switch Cord
- 5. D’aplomb 100% Authentic Natural Himalayan Salt Lamp
- 6. VisualWhite Himalayan Salt Lamp
What is the History of Salt?
Salt has been used in medicinal and wellness practices throughout time, in areas like Greece, Rome, China, and Egypt. Salt bathing was believed to cure many ailments, as well as aching muscles and other pains.
Salt was also used to pay people due to its value in ancient times; in fact, the word “salary” comes from the salt. Salt is represented in almost every culture and religion as a symbol of purity.
The compound has also been used in food preservation, allowing travel before refrigeration and promoting exploration into new territories.
Mines producing salt touch all corners of the world, such as West Africa, Russia, Italy, Turkey, Syracuse, NY and more.
Today, many still flock to salt baths and spas due to the high salinity and mineral composition that they believe detoxifies air, skin, and impurities.
The cosmetic industry is booming with items composed with crude salt – from mud compresses and saline solutions to scrubs for the body.
What is Himalayan Salt?
Himalayan salt, also referred to as pink salt, is salt mined from the Punjab region of Pakistan, where it is mined by hand. Having originated during the pre-Cambrian Age (millions of years ago), the salt lay hidden in beds, once covered by volcanic lava.
The salt is believed to contain up to 84 more minerals and nutrients than your average table salt, but the health benefits associated with consuming the Himalayan salt are disputed.
The undeniable aspect of Himalayan salt is that it is unrefined and quite beautiful. Many people enjoy the salt due to its stunning and unusual colors that are completely natural.
The hues range from pinks and browns to vibrant oranges. These beautiful colors are one of the reasons the public has gained a fascination with and enjoys using the salt rocks as lamps in-home as lighting or meditation tools.
Discover the many benefits of using your own salt lamp for practicing meditation.
Why Use a Himalayan Salt Lamp for Meditation?
Himalayan salt lamps can be used as the focal point of your daily meditation routine, similar to a candle meditation. Be sure you turn off the lights so you can focus directly on the lamp.
The hypnotic glow of the lamp can help you more easily relax into a meditative state. The lamp is made of natural materials, and therefore reflects a natural light that is not harsh or overly manufactured — perfect for diffusing overpowering energy.
Focusing on the warm glow will also assist in clearing your mind, as well as create a blank canvas to explore your inner thoughts, where you choose to actively or passively meditate.
Salt lamps provide a calming accent to set a relaxing mood in any room, which will enhance your meditation experience, and allow you to focus on only your inner thoughts.
After purchasing your salt lamp, you can place as many as you like in your meditation space as accents, or place in a central location to be your main focal point. You can create a beautiful, unique meditation space with your salt lamp as a centerpiece on your meditation table.
What to Consider Before Purchasing
There are many additional benefits to owning a Himalayan salt lamp, from aesthetic to well-being.
Some people claim these lamps can improve air quality, boost your mood and energy levels, and help ease the symptoms of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) or depression — although these claims have not been scientifically proven.
However, whether you are using your lamp as part of your meditation routine, to reduce blue light intake at night, or as accent lighting to help set the mood of a room, there are a few things to consider when shopping for the perfect lamp.
The popularity of Himalayan salt has skyrocketed in recent times, meaning that there are plenty of lamps on the market to choose from.
Here are some things to consider:
- Determine if the lamp is safe and made by a reputable manufacturer. Ensure that wires, dimmers, bulbs and any other electrical components are ETL or UL listed.
- Check recalls to ensure you are not buying a faulty product.
- Make sure it’s the real deal. If a salt for the lamp is mined from any area outside of Pakistan, some users consider these to be forgeries. If you want the real deal, ensure that your lamp’s salt rock was mined in the Himalayan region of Pakistan, and know how to spot a fake.
- Decide how you will be using the salt lamp. Will you only use it for meditation, or will it serve as a bedside light as well? If you are using it solely as a focal point in meditation, you could suffice with a smaller lamp. If you’d like to use it as a light in your home, too, you probably need a larger, brighter lamp that takes a bulb with higher wattage.
- Do you need outlets? If you will be taking your salt lamp room-to-room or practicing meditation somewhere without outlets, you may want to consider buying one that is battery- or USB-operated, or that has an extra long cord.
- Decide on bulb color. Many Himalayan salt lamps have multi-color bulb options. Changing the color of your lighting can create different moods and environments, depending on what you would like to achieve during your practice for the day.
Here are the 6 Best Himalayan Salt Lamps For 2022
While there are a number of factors to consider before choosing which lamp to buy, you don’t have to purchase a variety to find out.
Think about the information outlined above, as well as your budget (salt lamps can range from very expensive to reasonable), and your intended use.
Then continue reading to learn more about the top picks and which salt lamp will work best for you.
This lamp is an Amazon Choice product and has over 12,000 customer reviews.
The Himalayan Glow lamp offers customers a beautiful amber glow and 6 feet cord with ETL listed dimmer, complete with a twisting knob.
Himalayan Glow offers lamps ranging from 3 to 15 pounds, at a price point between $18 and $40. The base of this salt lamp is made from beautiful neem wood, a fragrant and natural bug-repelling material.
- A range of sizes and prices
- Termite and bug-free wood base
- Twisting knob for dimmer
- Some reviewers complain of fire hazard
- No backup bulbs included
- User said lamp leaks liquid
This Himalayan Salt Lamp by Ambient Salt Company has been sourced from Khewra Salt Mine, the second largest salt mine worldwide.
All these lamps come with a UL-certified dimmer switch, enhancing safety in your home while allowing you to adjust the light to your preference. You can put the lamp at the lowest setting when going to bed, place it on your bed stand, and enjoy quality sleep.
Going for $19.99, this is a great price point, considering all the benefits this lamp offers. The lamp’s dimensions are 4.33″D x 4.33″W x 7.87″H, giving it a good size that can be placed anywhere.
- Adjustable brightness
- Intricate design
- Sweat a lot in a humid climate and can even lead to water damage on the furniture
- Does not include backup lamps
The Pristine Himalayan Salt Lamp has been intricately hand-carved by experts to form a tulip design that will blend easily in your home and brighten the mood. It comes fully assembled with a cord and light bulb when you buy it.
This unique product sells for $39.95 and will give your room a soft glow and create a relaxing atmosphere.
- The design makes it versatile in that it can be used as a meditation lamp and a décor piece
- Can be placed on bedsides and tabletops
- Non-bug attracting
- The lamp is not dimmable
- The package does not include replacement bulbs
Weighing in at just 5.29 lbs, the Spantik Himalayan Salt Lamp with Dimmer Switch Cord is hand chipped using Himalayan salt from Pakistan.
The power cord measures 6 feet and has a dimmable switch, allowing you to control the intensity of your room’s lighting. Priced at $19.99, this straightforward, no-frills lamp includes a money back guarantee from the manufacturer.
- Dimmer switch cord is UL-certified
- 98% five-star reviews
- “Worry-free guarantee and hassle-free returns” offered by the manufacturer
- Replacement bulbs not included
- User reported poor quality bulb
Weighing approximately 8 to 12 lbs, the D’aplomb 100% Authentic Natural Himalayan Salt Lamp is made of genuine and pure crystal rock salt from the Himalayan Mountains. Each piece is distinct in size, shape, and color, so you can be sure what you are getting is unique.
The electrical components are UL listed, meaning they set the industry standards regarding safety.
The lamp comes in two sizes: the medium size, which is $29.99, and the large size, which goes for $34.99.
- It allows for gradual dimming, making it ideal for different settings
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed
- Package includes two replacement bulbs
- Traps air pollutants
- One customer complained the lamp was too heavy for their liking
- A user complained of finding a puddle of salt under the lamp
The VisualWhite Himalayan Salt Lamp is made of 100% natural Himalayan salt rock. These lamps have been hand carved, giving each a unique yet harmonious appearance.
The lamp is powered by two 3A batteries, eliminating the need for wires and sockets and creating some convenience for users. It also features a timer switch that automatically goes off after 6 hours, making it ideal for bedtime use.
- Has a timer switch
- Since it is battery-powered, you can use it anywhere, including in a room without sockets
- Each lamp has a unique shape
- The manufacturer offers quality assurance with a three-year warranty and after-sales service
- It is a bit small for some people
- It does not come with batteries
More Related Articles
The overall conclusion is that the Levoit Elora Himalayan Salt Lamp is the best quality salt lamp (and bang for your buck).
While it costs slightly more than other lamps, the 2-year warranty and great customer service will ensure you are getting your money’s worth.
You can safely use the product for years, and the company verifies it is faultless through their guarantee to customers. The stainless steel base is sanitary and easy to clean.
The range in size and pricing options allows new customers to buy a less expensive, smaller lamp if they would like, and eventually graduate to the larger, pricier version if they love their purchase.
A combination of factors, from the natural beauty of the lamp to its certifications and verified origins, make this the perfect Himalayan salt lamp for beginners and experienced practitioners across the board.
Enjoy peace of mind using this salt lamp as an added feature to your studio space, or as a beautiful focal point to concentrate your energy and thoughts on.