Every person’s body is different.
Furthermore, the calories-in-calories-out myth has been thoroughly debunked over the past few years.
Ultimately, it’s not a universal truth.
Moreover, being heavier doesn’t mean someone is lazy or unhealthy.
If you’re still parroting those talking points, check out a podcast called “Maintenance Phase.”
All that said, many people are plagued with nervous eating, meaning they pop food in their mouths even when they’re not hungry.
Learning to eat mindfully can get this habit under control.
What Is Mindfulness in Eating?
Do you snack on autopilot?
How about mindlessly nibbling on sweets at night?
Or may you have the opposite problem?
Perhaps you cannot bring yourself ever to eat a piece of cake or salad dressing.
Examine both extremes to ensure they’re not problems.
And that’s where mindful eating comes in handy.
Being mindful means being present.
People who live in the “now” tend to make better decisions that aren’t guided by anxiety.
So how do you start eating mindfully?
- Start with a couple of deep breaths. It slows your nervous system and brings your focus to the present moment.
- Think about what you’re about to put in your mouth and why.
- Consider if you’re genuinely hungry or just eating out of habit.
- Do you enjoy what you’re about to eat, or are you shoving it down in an attempt to please other people’s expectations about your body?
- The answers to those questions should impact your decision.
28 Mindful Eating Quotes to Honor Your Body
Affirmations can work wonders when reigning in disordered eating and quotes about eating mindfully help many people along that path.
To that end, let’s look at 28 intuitive eating quotes to honor your body.
1. “Every moment nature is serving fresh dishes with the items of happiness. It is our choice to recognize and taste it.” ― Amit Ray
2. “One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.” — Virginia Woolf
3. “Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are.” — Brillat-Savarin
5. “The spirit cannot endure the body when overfed, but, if underfed, the body cannot endure the spirit.” — St Frances de Sales
6. “One should eat to live, not live to eat.” — Benjamin Franklin
More Related Articles
7. “Mindful eating is about awareness. When you eat mindfully, you slow down, pay attention to the food you’re eating, and savour every bite.” — Susan Albers
8. “It’s only by bringing a habit into your conscious awareness that you can observe what it’s doing, how it empowers and serves you or doesn’t.” — Jeff Olson
9. “Understanding our relationship to eating cultivates a lot of insights and helps us start living our highest potential.” — Natasha Pantovic
11. “Conscious eating is a big step toward conscious living.” — Natasha Pantovic
12. “Mindful eating is eating with intention while paying attention.” — Kati Konersman RD CDE
13. “Mindful eating is a way to become reacquainted with the guidance of our internal nutritionist.” — Jan Chozen Bays
14. “Even if you can’t be totally mindful at every meal, if you can say a blessing, silently if necessary, or offer up a prayer for someone, something beyond yourself and your food, the prayer helps to transform eating into something that affects not only our hunger at that moment but the greater world.” — Mary DeTurris Poust
16. “The beginning of mindful eating is the realization that eating meat is not about the meat-eater; it is about the animals who are tormented and killed.” — Norm Phelps
17. “Better to eat a dry crust of bread with peace of mind than have a banquet in a house full of trouble.” — Proverbs
18. “Taken slowly, or mindfully, even eating an orange or a bowl of soup, or a small piece of dark chocolate for that matter, can take on the flavor or prayer.” — Mary DeTurris Poust
19. “Of course, to lose weight, dieters need to eat fewer calories than they burn.” — Thich Nhat Hanh
20. “Healthy does NOT mean starving yourself EVER. Healthy means eating the right food in the right amount”. – Karen Salmansohn
21. “It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver.” – Mahatma Gandhi
22. “When diet is wrong, medicine is of no use. When diet is correct, medicine is of no need”. – Ayurvedic Proverb
23. “The food you eat can be either the safest and most powerful form of medicine or the slowest form of poison.” – Ann Wigmore
25. “Those who think they have no time for healthy eating will sooner or later have to find time for illness.” – Edward Stanley
26. “Before you worry about the beauty of your body, worry about the health of your body.” ― Amit Kalantri
27. “Wrong eating is the disease. Right eating is the medicine.” ― Amar Chandel
28. “Your body is a temple, but only if you treat it as one.”― Astrid Alauda
No, you don’t need to be a size six with a specific BMI to be healthy. But eating mindfully isn’t a bad idea. After all, the more deliberate we are about our actions, the more in control we become.